The joint surface is composed of cartilage and underlying bone. The cartilage over the bone functions as a cushioning and lubricating surface and its health is essential for our ability to move pain-free.
Unlike bone, cartilage has very limited self-healing capacity due to the absence of blood vessels and a low number of cells. If a damaged joint surface is left untreated, the problem can escalate into further joint degeneration and osteoarthritis, which is a chronic degenerative joint disease affecting the whole joint as an organ.
Therefore, it is essential to treat cartilage lesions in a timely and efficient manner.
COPLA® is designed to:
- enable the joint surface tissues to heal to avoid further degradation
- be implanted during traditional cartilage cleaning and/or bone marrow stimulation procedures
- be easily tailorable to any lesion diameter or depth
- enable immediate full weight-bearing after surgery
- degrade while new tissue is forming
COPLA® is made of materials that have been in clinical use in implantable medical devices safely for decades.
COPLA® is an investigational device and is not yet approved for commercial use in any country. The described design properties and intended purpose are subject to further validation.